Venue: The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AG
Date and Time: Wednesday, 21 November 2012, 10:00am (local time)
You can access the press conference via toll-free dial-in numbers listed below
UNEP will provide live coverage of the press conference via its Twitter account @UNEP
Achim Steiner, UN Under-Secretary-General and UNEP Executive Director (via video link)
Joseph Alcamo, UNEP Chief Scientist
Monica Araya, Member of Steering Committee, Adviser, Costa Rica Climate Change Directorate
Niklas Höhne, Lead author Ch. 2, Director Energy and Climate Policy, Ecofys
In the run up to the 2012 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Doha, Qatar, the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) will release the latest edition of its authoritative Emissions Gap Report on 21 November 2012.
The 2012 study reveals the gap to be significantly wider than previously thought.
The report - a vital reference point for climate change negotiations - provides the most recent assessment of the 'gap' between commitments made by governments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and what is needed to keep global temperature rise below a 2°C limit by 2020.
Detailed analysis of the emissions cuts needed to meet a range of scenarios are outlined, as well as a raft of solutions for bridging the emissions gap by 2020.
These include measures that cover a number of key economic sectors from transport and buildings to forestry.
UNEP convened some 55 scientists from 22 countries to produce the third edition of the report.
UK Freefone dial-in number: 0800 121 4136 Participant passcode: 52131047 then #
Global Access Numbers: www.btconferencing.com/globalaccess/?bid=622
If your country is not listed in the Global Access Numbers dial in to the nearest country, picking the number from the International Dial-in column.
For more information, please contact:
Nick Nuttall, Spokesperson and Acting Director, UNEP Division of Communications and Public Information, on +254 733 632 755 /+41 79 596 5737, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or, Shereen Zorba, Head UNEP Newsdesk on Tel. +254 788 526 000, E-mail: email@example.com
Other launch events around the world:
- Venue: UN Compound
- Date and Time: Wednesday, 21 November 2012, 3:00 pm (local time)
- Zhang Shigang, Head of UNEP China Office
- Jiang Kejun, Co-lead author, ERI
- Zhao Xiusheng, Tsinghua Univeristy
- Gov. rep. (TBC)
- Venue: IPEA - Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada SBS, Quadra 1, Bloco J, Ed. BNDES 70076-900 Brasília - DF - Brasil
- Date and Time: Wednesday, 21 November 2012, 10:00 am (local time)
- Denise Hamú - UNEP
- Jorge Hargrave - IPEA, report Co-author
- Ronaldo Seroa da Motta - IPEA/UERJ, report Co-author
- Claudio Gesteira - COPPE/UFRJ, report Co-author
- Sven Wunder - CIFOR, report Co-author
- Francisco de Oliveira Filho - MMA - Department Policies to Combat Deforestation - Ministry of Environment, Brazil
- Venue: UN House, Rue Montoyer 14, Brussels
- Date and Time: Thursday, 22 November 2012, 10:30 am (local time)
- Jan Dusik, UNEP Acting Regional Director for Europe
- Artur Runge-Metzger, Director International & Climate Strategy at DG Climate Action
- Merlyn Van-Voore, UNEP DTIE
- Venue: International Press Centre, Copenhagen
- Date and Time: Wednesday, 21 November 2012, 9:30 am (local time)
- Martin Lidegaard, Minister of Climate, Energy and Building, Denmark
- John Christensen, Head of UNEP Risoe Centre