A. Implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification
The Governing Council,
Recalling General Assembly resolutions 32/170 and 32/172 of 19 December 1977, 33/88 and 33/89 of 15 December 1978, 34/185 and 34/187 of 18 December 1979, 35/73 of 5 December 1980, 36/190 of 17 December 1981, 37/147 of 17 December 1982 and 37/216, 37/218 and 37/220 of 20 December 1982,
Recalling also Governing Council decision 10/14, section VII, of 31 May 1982, on the implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification,
Reiterating its profound concern over the continuing critical impact of the desertification process in the developing countries, especially in Africa,
Deeply concerned about the slow implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification,
1. Invites all Governments and international organizations concerned and interested to facilitate the task of the Consultative Group for Desertification
Control to enable it to achieve the objectives assigned to it.
2. Appeals to all concerned Governments and organizations to exert every effort to support and strengthen the role of the Consultative Group
3. Invites the General Assembly to consider expanding the role of the Consultative Group to include also information exchange;
4. Appeals to countries to contribute financially to the implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification, thus bringing into effect General Assembly resolution 33/116 C, section IX, of 29 January 1979, which created the Special Account for that purpose.
5. Requests the Executive Director to pursue his efforts to persuade Governments to make their views known in reasonable time, in particular with special reference to the provision of additional resources for the financing of the Plan of Action.
B. Implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification in the Sudano-Sahelian region
The Governing Council,
Noting with appreciation the steps undertaken by the Executive Director to implement the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification in the Sudano-Sahelian region,
Recalling its decisions 9/22 B of 26 May 1981 and 10/18 of 31 May 1982 on the implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification in the Sudano-Sahelian region,
1. Expresses its satisfaction at the progress made by the United Nations Sudano-Sahelian Office in assisting the Governments of the region, on behalf of the United Nations Environment Programme, and under the joint venture with the United Nations Development Programme, in the implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification in the Sudano-Sahelian region
2. Appeals to all Governments, organizations of the United Nations system and intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations to give due consideration to strengthening efforts and support for desertification control in the region;
3. Requests the Executive Director to continue the support of the United Nations Environment Programme for the joint venture at a level commensurate with the pressing needs of the Sudano-Sahelian region
4. Authorizes the Executive Director to submit his report on the implementation of the Plan of Action in the Sudano-Sahelian region, 42/ and the present decision, on behalf of the Council, to the General Assembly at its thirty-eighth session through the Economic and Social Council
5. Invites the General Assembly to consider:
(a) Expanding the mandate of the United Nations Sudano-Sahelian Office into the area of dealing with the environmental consequences of drought, in addition to those of desertification, in the Sudano-Sahelian region as a whole
(b) Working out appropriate institutional and other relevant arrangements, which would enable that Office to be charged with such an additional responsibility;