F - Organization of the work of the session
16. At the opening meeting of the session, the Governing Council considered and approved the organization of the work of the session in the light of the suggestions made by the secretariat in the annotations to the provisional agenda and the timetable of meetings suggested by the Executive Director (UNEP/GC.14/1/Add.1/Rev.1). At its fourth meeting, the Council approved an amended version of the timetable of meetings (UNEP/GC.14/1/Add.2).
17. At the opening meeting, the Council decided to establish a sessional Committee of the whole and to allocate to it agenda items 6 (a), 9 and 10. It was agreed that the Committee would be chaired by Mr. C. J. Butale (Botswana).
18. The Council also decided to establish an informal open-ended drafting group under the chairmanship of Ms. D. Protsenko (Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic), with a core membership of two representatives from each regional group, to ensure th initiation of draft decisions pertaining to the items considered in plenary and the co-ordination of draft decisions emanating from the Committee of the Whole before their submission to the relevant body for formal consideration.
19. The Council further decided that Mr. Z. R. Ansari (India) would assist the President, particularly when administrative and financial matters were bibg considered in plenary meeting.
20. In addition, the council decided to establish a special informal working group to consider the formulation of decisions under agenda items 7 (Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development) and 8 (Environmental Perspective to the Year 2000 and Beyond). The special working group would be chaired by Mr. A. Al-Gain (Saudi Arabia), with Mr. A. Johnson (Jamaica) and Mr. D. El-Sheik (Sudan) acting as Vice-Chairmen.