FOLLOW-UP OF GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTIONS
1. Agenda item 5 was taken up by the Council at its 3rd plenary meeting, on 2 February 1999.
2. In considering the item, the Council had before it the report of the Executive Director on issues arising from the resolutions of the General Assembly at its fifty-second and fifty-third sessions and nineteenth special session, specifically calling for action by UNEP (UNEP/GC.20/14). In addition, the Council had before it a draft decision submitted by the Committee of Permanent Representatives on issues arising from the resolutions of the General Assembly at its fifty-second and fifty-third sessions and nineteenth special session, specifically calling for action by UNEP (UNEP/GC.20/L.8).
3. Introducing the item, the Executive Director welcomed the increased attention being given by the General Assembly to environmental matters and its strong endorsement of the work of the Governing Council, contained in resolution 53/187 of 15 December 1998. He also drew attention to resolution 52/182 of 18 December 1997, which called for strengthened integration of trade, environment and development.
4. Following that introduction, the Council heard statements from the representatives of India and Indonesia.
Action by the Council
5. At the 6th plenary meeting of the session, on 3 February 1999, the Governing Council adopted decision 20/16 under this item. The text of the decision is contained in annex I to the present proceedings, and the process of adoption is recorded in chapter II above.