Special session of the Governing Council in 1992 (decision 16/3)
7. At its 8th meeting, on 31 May, the Council had before it a draft decision on this subject submitted by Netherlands (UNEP/GC.16/L.57), whose representative requested that it should be put immediately to the vote by roll-call.
8. The representative of Mexico, speaking on a point of order, said that he wished to introduce an amendment to the draft, by which the operative part would be deleted and replaced by a single paragraph reading as follows:
"Requests the Committee of Permanent Representatives to consider the documents referred to in the preamble to the present decision and request the Executive Director to forward them in due course, together with the Committee's comments thereon, to the Preparatory Committee for the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development."
9. The President said that the motion of the representative of Mexico was a proposal and would therefore be considered after the vote on the draft decision submitted by the Netherlands, in accordance with rule 54, paragraph 1, of the rules of procedure.
10. After a brief procedural discussion in which the representatives of Mexico, Argentina and the Netherlands took part, the Council decided, by 16 votes to 9, that the motion of Mexico should be treated as an amendment and should therefore be voted on first, in accordance with rule 53, paragraph 1, of the rules of procedure.
11. The amendment of Mexico was put to a vote and was defeated by 22 votes to 18.
12. Draft decision UNEP/GC.16/L.57 was then put to the vote by roll-call and was adopted by 30 votes to 8 with 11 abstentions. The voting was as follows:
In favour: Austria, Bangladesh, Barbados, Botswana, Burundi, China, Cote d'Ivoire, Czechoslovakia, Finland, Gambia, Germany, Guyana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Kuwait, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Mauritius, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tunisia, Uganda, United Kingdom, Zimbabwe.
Against: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, New Zealand, Spain, United States of America, Venezuela.
Abstaining: Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Japan, Lesotho, Mexico, Oman, Turkey, Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, Yugoslavia.