1 - ORGANIZATION OF THE SESSION
A. Opening of the session
3. In the absence of the President and Vice-Presidents of the Governing Council at its seventh session, the session was opened by the Executive Director.
4. The following States members of the Governing Council 1/ were represented at the session:
Argentina Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
Brazil New Zealand
Byelorussian Soviet Romania
Socialist Republic Saudi Arabia
Denmark Trinidad and Tobago
German Democratic Republic Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
Germany, Federal Republic of United Arab Emirates
Guinea United Kingdom of Great Britain
India and Northern Ireland
Indonesia United States of America
I/ The membership of the Governing Council was determined by elections held at the 103rd plenary meeting of the thirty-second session of the General Assembly, held on 15 December 1977, at the 85th and glst plenary meetings of the thirty-third session, held on 15 and 21 December 1978 respectively, and at the 107th plenary meeting of the thirty-fourth session, held on 18 December 1979.
5. The following States not members of the Governing Council were represented:
Egypt Republic of Korea
Holy Sea Sri Lanka
Israel United Republic of Cameroon
6. The Palestine Liberation Organization and the Pan Africanist Congress of Azania were represented as observers.
7. The United Nations Secretariat was represented by the Department of International Economic and Social Affairs and by the secretariat of the Third United Nations Conference on the Law of the Sea.
8. The following United Nations bodies and Secretariat units were represented:
Economic Commission for Europe (ECE)
Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
Economic Commission for Africa (ECA)
Economic Commission for West Asia (ECIlk)
Office of the United Nations Disaster Relief Co-ordinator (UNDRO)
United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (UITCHS)
United Nations Development Programme (UUDP)
United Nations Fund for Population Activities (UNFPA)
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations Sudano-Sahelian Office (UNSO)
9. The following specialized agencies were represented:
International Labour Organisation (ILO)
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) I-Torld- Health Organization (WHO)
World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Inter-Governmental Maritime Consultative Organization (IMCO)
10. The following other intergovernmental organizations were represented:
Commission of the European Communities (CEC)
Council for Mutual Economic Assistance (CMEA)
League of Arab States
Organization of African Unity (OAU)
Organization of American States (OAS)
In addition, 47 non-governmental organizations were represented as observers.
C. Election of officers
11. At the opening meeting of the eighth session, on 16 April 1980, the Governing Council elected the following officers by acclamation:
President: Mr. A. N. D. Haksar (India)
Vice-Presidents.: Mrs. H61'ene Dubois (France)
Mr. V. A. l@ozlov (Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic) l@ - W. N. Tfbote (Kenya)
Rapporteur: Mr. L. F. Guerrero (Venezuela)
12. In accordance with rule 17, paragraph 2, of the rules of procedure of the Governing Council, the Bureau examined the credentials of the delegations attending the eighth session of the Council. The, Bureau found the credentials in order and so reported to the Council, which approved the report of the Bureau at the 10th meeting of the session, on 28 April 1980.
13. At the opening meeting of the session, the Governing Council adopted the provisional agenda for the session as approved at its seventh session..Z/ The agenda as adopted read as follows:
1. Opening of the session
2. Organizational matters
(a) Election of officers
(b) Agenda and organization of the work of the session
3. Credentials of representatives
4. Executive Director's report and state of the environment
(a) Introductory report of the Executive Director (including resolutions and decisions of the thirty-fourth session of the General Assembly and resolutions of the first and second sessions of the Economic and Social Council in 1979 of relevance to the United Nations Environment Programme)
(b) State of the environment report
2/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-fourth Session, Supplement No. 25 (A/34/25), pp. 123 and 124.
5. Co-ordination questions
(a) Report of the Administrative Committee on Co-ordination on co-ordination in the field of the environment
(b) Other co-ordination questions (including co-ordination with the Commission on Human Settlements and the system-wide medium-term environment programme)
6. Programme matters
7. Co-ordination and follow-up of the implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification
8. The Environment Fund
(a) Report on the implementation of the Fund programme in 1979
(b) Financial report and accounts (unaudited) for the biennium 1978-1979 ended 31 December 1979
(c) Management of the Fund of UNEP
(d) Administrative and budgetary matters
9. Provisional agenda, date and place of the ninth session of the Governing Council
10. Other business
11. Report of the Governing Council to the General Assembly
12. Closure of the session "
F. Oreanization of the work of the session
14. At the opening meeting of the session, the Governing Council considered the question of the organization of the work of the session in the light of the suggestions made by the secretariat in the annotations to the provisional agenda and of the time-table of meetings suggested by the Exc-cutive Director (UNEP/GC.8/l/Add.1 and Corr.1). It was agreed that item 4 (a) and (b) should be considered in the context of a general debate.
15. At the same meeting the Governing Council decided to establish two sessional committees and to allocate agenda items to them as follows:
Sessional Committee I: Agenda items 6, the part of 8 (c) on evaluation and 10
Sessional Committee II: Agenda items 8 (a), (b), (c) and (d)
17. N. Mtcte (Kenya) ind 1rs. HL"l('2ne Dubcis (France) , Vice-Fresidents, were appointed Cliairmen of Sessional Coranittees I and IT, respectively.
G. of the Committees
16. Committee I held 13 meetings from 16 to 28 April 198o. At the first meeting, it elected Mr. J. Hartnack (Denmark) as Rapporteur, and adopted its work plan and tentative timetable. The text of the Cominittee's report has been incorporated in chapter IV beloit.
17. Committee II held nine meetings from 16 to 25 April 1980. At the first meeting, it approved a tentative time-table for its work, and at the second meeting it elected Ifr. Ahmad Azimi-Bolourian (Iran) as Rapporteur. The text of the Committee's report has been incorporated in chapter VI below.