CONFIRMATION OF THE MEMBERS OF THE HIGH-LEVEL COMMITTEE
1. In considering item 4, the Council had before it the report of the Executive Director on the nomination of members of the High-level Committee of Ministers and Officials (UNEP/GCSS.V/3), the report of the High-level Committee of Ministers and Officials on the work of its second meeting (UNEP/HLC/2/6), and the list of nominees of the High-level Committee of Ministers and Officials (UNEP/HLC/2/INF/6 and Corr.1).
2. The item was taken up by the Council at the 2nd meeting of the session, on 20 May 1998.
3. Introducing the item, the President recalled Governing Council decision 19/32 by which the Council established the High-level Committee of Ministers and Officials and decided that those nominated by the respective regional groups would be empowered to function on a provisional basis as members of the Committee until the next special or regular session of the Governing Council, whichever occurred earlier, where the nominations would be formally confirmed by the Council as elected.
4. The Executive Director drew attention to the list of nominees to the High-level Committee of Ministers and Officials as contained in the annex to his report of the nomination of members of the Committee. In accordance with the Governing Council’s decision on the constitution of the Committee, adopted at its nineteenth session, the Council was being requested at its current special session formally to confirm those nominees as elected.
5. The representative of India, speaking on behalf of the Asian Group, said that the nominees from the Asian region listed in the annex to the report of the Executive Director had been nominated for the year 1997/1998. The following countries of the region were being nominated by the Group for 1998/1999: China, India, Indonesia, and Islamic Republic of Iran, Republic of Korea, Samoa, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
6. The Council then formally confirmed as elected to the High-level Committee the states nominated by the respective regional groups, as indicated in the annex to the report of the Executive Director and in the statement of the representative of India.
7. As a result, the High-level Committee of Ministers and Officials is composes of the following members: Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bangladesh, * Burundi, China, Cuba, Czech Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, *** Egypt, El Salvador, Finland, **** India, **** Indonesia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Italy, Japan, * Kenya, Mexico, Netherlands, Nigeria, Pakistan, * Peru, Philippines, * Poland, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russian Federation, Samoa, ** Senegal, Sri Lanka,**** Switzerland, Thailand, **** Uganda, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
· For 1997/98 only.
· For 1998 and 2000
· For 1997 and 1999
· For 1998/99 only.