EVALUATION OF THE MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT OF THE
1. In considering item 5, the Council had before it the report of the Executive Director on the evaluation of the management and administrative support of the United Nations Environment Programme, as requested by the Governing Council in sections II and III of decision 19/22 (UNEP/GCSS.V/4) and an information document containing a letter dated 30 October 1997 from the Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ) addressed to the Executive Director of UNEP (UNEP/GCSS.V/INF/3).
2. The item was taken up by the Council at the 2nd meeting of the session, on 20 May 1998.
3. Following an introductory statement by the Executive Director, the Council, at the 2nd meeting of the session, heard statements from the representatives of India (on behalf of the Group of 77 and China) and Japan Mr. Mohammed El-Ashry, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Global Environment Facility, also made a statement.
4. At the 3rd meeting of the session, on 20 May 1998, the Council heard statements under the item from the representatives of Argentina, Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, China, Cuba, France, Indonesia, Kenya, the Marshall Islands, Mexico (on behalf of the Group of Latin America and Caribbean states), Nigeria, Poland, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation, Switzerland, Turkey, Uganda, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (on behalf of the European Union) and the United States of America.
5. A representative of the members of Alliance of small Island Developing states attending the session also made a statement.
Action by the Council
5. The Governing Council then proceeded to consider and adopt, at its 6th meeting, decision SS.V/1 under this item. The text of the decision is included in annex 1 to the present proceedings, and the process of adoption including any comments made at the time, is recorded in chapter II, paragraphs 1-2 above.