G - Desertification
26. By paragraph 4 of its decision 12/10 of 28 May 1984, the Governing Council reconfirmed the validity of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification and the general appropriateness of the institutional arrangements 6/ established by the General Assembly for the follow-up of its implementation.
5/ UNEP/GC.12/8/Add.1 and Corr.1.
6/ Resolution 32/172 of 19 December 1977 as amended in respect of the functions of the Environment Co- ordination Board by resolution 32/197 Of 20 December 1977.
27. By paragraph 6 of the same decision, the Governing Council expressed its satisfaction at the initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in establishing the office of the United Nations Secretary-General's Special Representative on the African Social and Economic crisis, a crisis caused among other things by prolonged drought.
28. The Governing Council, by paragraph 7 of the decision, appealed to all Governments, organizations of the United Nations system and other intergovernmental and non governmental organizations to give due consideration to strengthening their financial and technical support to the countries of the Sudano-Sahelian region, and by paragraph 10 decided, in response to General Assembly resolution 38/164 of 19 December 1983, to include Ghana and Togo among the countri4s eligible to receive assistance through the United Nations Sudano-Sahelian office in implementing the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification.
29. In paragraph 17 of its decision, the Council reaffirmed the central role of the United Nations Environment Programme in catalyzing, coordinating and assessing. The implementation of the Plan of Action at the international level.
30 By paragraph 18 of the decision, the Council called upon all countries, in particular the developed countries and those in a position to do so, to increase their assistance to countries suffering from desertification, including the financing of sub regional and regional programmes, and to contribute to the Special Account created under General Assembly resolution 34/172 of 19 December 1977. it also, by paragraph 19, welcomed Assembly resolution 38/163 of 19 December 1983 and fully supported the Executive Director's intention to request, on behalf of the Secretary-General, all Member States that had not already done so to provide as soon as possible their comments to the Secretary-General in order to allow the General Assembly to consider taking a decision at its fortieth session on measures designed to obtain additional and predictable financing.
31. By paragraph 24 of the decision, the Governing council invited the General Assembly to expand the role of the consultative Group for Desertification Control to include explicitly responsibility for advising the Executive Director on-.
(a) The progress and effectiveness of activities implemented under the Plan of Action, identifying constraints and possible solutions to problems, taking account of relevant evaluations and case-studies)
(b) Programmme priorities of UNEP
(c) Measures required to improve implementation of the Plan of Action on a regional and world-wide basis.
32. By paragraph 26 of the same decision, the Council authorized the Executive Director, in accordance with the relevant resolutions of the General Assembly
(Resolutions 32/172 of 19 December 1977, 35/73 of 5 December 1980 and 37/218 of 20 December 1982), to submit to the Assembly at its thirty-ninth session through the Economic and Social Council, on behalf of the Governing Council, a progress report on the implementation of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification, based on the relevant parts of his annual report and the comments of the Governing Council thereon. 7/
33. By paragraph 27 of the same decision, the Council also authorized the Executive Director to submit to the General Assembly at its thirty-ninth session through the Economic and Social Council, on behalf of the Governing council, in accordance with the relevant resolutions of the General Assembly (resolutions 33/88 of 15 December 1978, 34/187 of 18 December 1979, 35/72 of 5 December 1980, 36/190 of 17 December 1981, 37/216 of 20 December 1982 and 38/164 of 19 December 1983), a progress report on the implementation in the Sudano-Sahelian region of the Plan of Action to Combat Desertification, based on the relevant parts of his annual report and the comments of the Governing council thereon. 8/
34. Relevant comments made by delegations during the debate in plenary are reflection in the proceedings of the Governing Council at its twelfth session