Programme policy and implementation (decision 12/1)
36. At the 16th meeting of the session, on 29 May, the Council had before it a draft decision on this subject submitted by the President (UNEP/GC.12/L.19 and Corr.1).
37. In response to a request for clarification, the Executive Director said that it was his understanding that the consultative meeting of the Intergovernmental Inter-sessional Preparatory Committee on the Environmental Perspective referred to in paragraph 6 of the decision as adopted would be an informal meeting of the committee, with the Committee members represented by permanent representatives in Nairobi - although any member that so wished could of course send a representative from his home country. The meeting would be open to all permanent representatives to UNEP by virtue of the open-ended nature of the Committee. it was also his understanding that the meeting would have no financial implications for UNEP, since no translation or interpretation would be provided, following the practice adopted for the meetings of the Committee of Permanent Representatives in Nairobi. The Executive Director's understanding was confirmed by the Chairman of the Committee.
38. The representative of Mexico placed on record his understanding that the consultative meeting would be convened by the Chairman of the Committee, and not by the Committee of Permanent Representatives in Nairobi.
39. The representative of the United States of America said that his Government had been among the first to express an interest in membership of the Intergovernmental Inter-sessional Preparatory Committee. Although he had deferred to other members of the Western European and Others Group in the allocation of seats on the Committee, his delegation intended to take full advantage of the open-ended nature of the Committee and to play a careful and constructive role in the development of the Environmental Perspective.
40. The draft decision was adopted by consensus.