F - Organization of the work of the session
17. At the opening meeting of the session, the Governing Council considered and approved the organization of the work of the session in the light of the recommendations contained in the annotated provisional agenda and organization of work (UNEP/GC.19/1/Add.1/Rev.1) and the provisional timetable of meetings suggested by the Executive Director (UNEP/GC.19/1/Add.1/Rev.1, annexes II and III).
18. Notwithstanding the provisions of rule 60 of its rules of procedure and the organizational structure for its sessions decided upon at its fifteenth session (decision 15/1, section II, paragraph 2, of 25 May 1989), the Governing Council decided, at its opening meeting, in view of the need for a closer integration of its deliberations on policy, programme and budgetary matters, to establish a Committee of the Whole to consider the greater part of its business in preparation for the high-level segment, with the flexibility to set up such subcommittees as might be desirable. The Council further decided that the Committee of the Whole should deal with agenda items 4 (a), (b) and (c), 6 and 7 of the agenda. Initially, it would also address additional items, such as items 4 (d) and 5.
19. It was agreed that the Committee of the Whole, or such subcommittees as it might decide to establish, would meet from 27 January to 3 February 1997 and that the remainder of the session would be devoted to plenary meetings, including the high-level segment from 5 to 7 February 1997 and the pledging session on 5 February 1997.
20. The Council agreed that the following items of the provisional agenda would be addressed primarily in plenary meetings: item 1 (Opening of the session); item 2 (Adoption of the agenda and organization of the work of the session); item 3 (Credentials of representatives); item 4 (d) (Governance of the United Nations Environment Programme); item 5 (Preparations for the 1997 review and appraisal of Agenda 21); item 8 (Provisional agenda, date and place of the twentieth session of the Council); item 9 (Other matters); item 10 (Adoption of the report); and item 11 (Closure of the session).
21. The Council decided that Mr. Sreenivasan, Vice-President of the Council, would chair the Committee of the Whole.