H - Report of the Committee of the Whole
23. The Committee of the Whole held 15 meetings under the chairmanship of Mr. Sreenivasan (India), Vice-President of the Council, from 27 January to 7 February 1997, to consider the following items allocated to it by the Council:
(a) State of the environment (agenda item 4 (a));
(b) Emerging policy issues (agenda item 4 (b));
(c) Coordination and cooperation within and outside the United Nations, including non-governmental organizations (agenda item 4 (c));
(d) Programme matters (agenda item 6);
(e) The Environment Fund and administrative and other budgetary matters (agenda item 7).
24. The Committee also held an initial discussion on items 4 (d) (Governance of the United Nations Environment Programme) and 5 (Preparations for the 1997 review and appraisal of Agenda 21).
25. At its 1st meeting, the Committee of the Whole elected Mr. Paul Haddow (Canada), Rapporteur of the Council, to serve as Vice-Chairman of the Committee and as Rapporteur for its meetings.
26. Also as agreed by the Council at the 1st meeting of the session, the Committee of the Whole established two subcommittees, one on programme matters, chaired by Mr. Sid-Ali Ketrandji (Algeria), Vice-President of the Council, and the other, chaired by the Chairman of the Committee, on the Environment Fund and administrative and other budgetary matters. These subcommittees met separately on 29 January to continue the discussions initiated in the Committee of the Whole and to take up the remaining issues under items 4 and 6 and item 7, respectively. The Programme Subcommittee elected Ms. E. R. Mwenda (Kenya) to serve as Rapporteur for its meetings, and the Fund Subcommittee agreed that Mr. Haddow, Rapporteur of the Council and the Committee of the Whole, would serve in the same capacity for its meetings.
27. The Programme and Fund Subcommittees both held two meetings, on 29 January. The reports on the work of those meetings are incorporated into the present proceedings under the relevant agenda item.
28. The report of the Committee of the Whole (UNEP/GC.19/L.70) was adopted by the Governing Council at its 8th meeting, on 7 February 1997. The report is incorporated into the present proceedings under the relevant agenda items.