Greening the UN Gigiri Compound in Nairobi
UNEP is working together with the United Nations Office of Nairobi on greening the UN Gigiri compound in Nairobi, Kenya.
The following initiatives are underway in an effort to 'Green Gigiri':
- Use of low energy bulbs in all conference and meeting rooms and most office blocks around the compound.
- Dual flush toilets (which minimize the amount of water wasted when flushing) fitted around the compound.
- Recycled grey water used for irrigation done around the compound.
- Composting of all organic waste.
- Only organic fertilizers are used for gardening and landscaping maintenance done around the compound.
Click to view large map