As an option, the exercise can be completed, if conditions permit, before a training session.
Using the template provided, address the following questions:
- Select one specific issue, and identify the specific environmental STATE that the issue involves. How has this state changed over time?
- Identify a general societal DRIVER with broad influence on the pressure and environmental state.
- Identify a societal PRESSURE directly affecting that environmental state. What natural disturbances might be causing your environmental state to change?
- Given the change in your environmental state, what are examples of key IMPACTS on the services that ecosystems provide, and human well-being?
- What existing policies and policy instruments (including laws and institutions) contribute to restoring or enhancing the environment (e.g., have an influence on the drivers, pressures and environmental state)? What policies and policy instruments have helped (or hindered) the ability of communities and businesses to adapt to impacts of the change in the environmental state? What technologies have facilitated restoration and/or adaptation?