- An HFC phase-down can avoid up to 0.5⁰ Celsius of global warming by 2100.
- HFCs are the fastest-growing greenhouse gases. Many are 100s to 1000s of times more powerful than carbon dioxide (CO2) at warming the atmosphere.
- The Climate and Clean Air Coalition believes urgent actions, like an HFC phase-down, are necessary to limit climate change.
- Richest countries consume on average 10 times as many materials as world's poorest
- Planet will need 180 billion tonnes of material every year by 2050 if trends continue
- Developing countries embrace green finance policies as part of wider effort to finance the real economy and meet social, economic and environmental needs
- Green finance policies inspired by new models such as developments in fintech
- US$5-7 trillion a year needed to implement the Sustainable Development Goals
15 to 23 July 2016 at the Vienna International Centre (VIC); Vienna, Austria
- Mist nets used to trap flying birds extend for 700 kilometres along coast of Egypt, where an estimated 5.7 million birds are illegally killed every year
- An estimated 18 birds killed per square kilometer every year in Italy, where illegal killings are thought to be worse than any EU country
- Killings pushing species to brink of extinction; Turtle Dove on IUCN red list as numbers plummet
High-level session closes productive Africa Carbon Forum 2016
The unprecedented project will generate cash returns of at least $77.5 million
The Green Star Awards emphasize the nexus between the environment and the need to safeguard communities from the environmental impacts of emergencies.