- US$5-7 trillion a year needed to implement the Sustainable Development Goals
- Festival's Enviro Day to showcase UN Environment initiatives boosting air quality and protecting human health
- 44,000 years of life, one-fifth of GDP are lost in Bosnia and Herzegovina annually due to poor air quality
UN Environment and the Norwegian Government signed a framework agreement for development cooperation yesterday that lays new ground for future collaboration in development and environmental sustainability.
Balakrishna Pisupati and Mathis Wackernagel
A clean environment is on the horizon for the people of Ogoniland as government, communities and oil industry commit to implementing UN Environment report recommendations
"While they have achieved another milestone in flight, their circumnavigation is even more momentous for what it demonstrates about clean technology."
- Governments set the stage for a possible agreement to reduce potent greenhouse gases under the Montreal Protocol.
- An amendment on reducing HFCs would be a significant step towards meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- An HFC phase-down can avoid up to 0.5⁰ Celsius of global warming by 2100.
- HFCs are the fastest-growing greenhouse gases. Many are 100s to 1000s of times more powerful than carbon dioxide (CO2) at warming the atmosphere.
- The Climate and Clean Air Coalition believes urgent actions, like an HFC phase-down, are necessary to limit climate change.
- Richest countries consume on average 10 times as many materials as world's poorest
- Planet will need 180 billion tonnes of material every year by 2050 if trends continue
UN Environment Executive Director Erik Solheim issued the following statement in support of a call by the UN Commission on Trade and Development and the Food and Agriculture Organization to end harmful fishing subsidies.