At the Rio+20 Summit in June 2012 and in the UN General Assembly in September of the same year, Member States committed to strengthen the United Nations Environment Programme and in particular to provide secure, stable, adequate and increased financial resources (Rio+20 outcome document “The Future We Want”, A/RES/66/288, GC.27/17 decision 27/2 and 27/13, A/RES/67/213). This UNEP Funding Strategy has been developed to support UNEP’s response to the call for action in these documents, decisions and resolutions. It urges the Member States and the UNEP Secretariat to take action jointly for strengthening and widening the donor base through various means and approaches.
The key elements of the strategy are:
- A shift towards increased un-earmarked funding
- A widened base for contributions
- More partnerships that catalyse resources and results at global, regional and national levels
- Increased Return On Investment (ROI)
- Accountability and Communication.
UNEP Funding Strategy - approved 31 January 2014 (.PDF)
Download PowerPoint Presentation (.PDF)