The HFC Initiative's overall objective is to significantly reduce the projected growth in the use and emissions of high-GWP HFCs in coming decades relative to business as usual scenarios. More specifically, it aims to mobilize efforts of the private sector, civil society, international organizations, and governments, with a view to:
- Promote the development, commercialization, and adoption of climate-friendly alternatives to high-GWP HFCs for all relevant industry sectors;
- Build international awareness and support for approaches to curb HFC growth, such as a global phase-down of HFC consumption and production under the Montreal Protocol and commitments/pledges by CCAC Partners;
- Encourage national, regional and global policies or approaches to reduce reliance on high-GWP HFCs and support the uptake of climate-friendly alternatives;
- Overcome barriers that limit the widespread introduction of these climate friendly technologies and practices, including those related to the establishment of standards; and
- Encourage the responsible management of existing equipment and better designs for future equipment in order to minimize leaks.