[You are here: Mercury > Global Mercury Partnership > Mercury Releases from Cement Industry
Mercury Releases from Cement Industry
- Mercury is present in the raw materials (e.g., limestone) and/or in the fuel (e.g.,coal) released in the combustion process.The major pathway for mercury releases from the cement industry is via emissions to the atmosphere.
- Cement industry contributes an estimated 10% or about 190 metric tons of the estimated total of 1921 metric tons per year of global anthropogenic mercury emissions.
- Emerging markets of the world will lead to an unprecedented rate of construction of new cement plants resulting in further emissions of mercury
Partnership Priority Actions
- Establish sectoral mercury inventories and baseline scenarios for the industry.
- Encourage use of most appropriate technique to reduce or minimize mercury releases into the environment.
- Increase the awareness of the cement industry to mercury as a pollutant through increased outreach efforts.