© Stakeholder Forum for a common future
Strengthening civil society engagement in UN processes environment and sustainable development
20-21 October, 2012 - New York, Pace University
The two-day meeting, organised by UNEP in partnership with UN-DESA, Stakeholder Forum and The Green Economy Coalition provided an opportunity for Major Groups and Stakeholders from across the globe to come together to discuss the outcomes of Rio+20, agree on action items to accelerate these outcomes, and address areas where no progress or agreement was made.
Representatives of Major Groups and Stakeholders:
- Took stock of the overall outcomes of Rio+20, including determining the successes and implications for the Major Groups model of participation;
- Discussed the role of Major Groups and other stakeholders in the implementation of the Rio+20 outcomes;
- Discussed the new governance architecture post Rio+20, including the space for engagement and the role of stakeholders;
- Looked forward to the post-2015 development agenda, in particular the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the role of Major Groups in the design and implementation;
- Discussed and agreed on the input into UNEP's Governing Council/Global Ministerial Environment Forum in February 2013, as well as the 20th Session of the Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD 20) in May 2013.
Outcomes of the meeting