UNEP has received several requests for support from countries and is committed to
enabling Direct Access to the Adaptation Fund by supporting countries to meet the
Adaptation Fund Board’s fiduciary, institutional and project/programme management
standards. Through its global reach, UNEP’s NIE support programme assists countries
in Latin America, Africa, and throughout the Asia-Pacific region, supporting access
to adaptation finance and national institutional capacity development.
UNEP provides ongoing support to countries throughout the Direct Access Adaptation
Fund process, including assisting countries with setting up their national
implementing entities. UNEP works closely with Governments to build institutional
capacity and develop appropriate systems and cross-cutting institutional arrangements
for effective decision-making, management and disbursement of climate change financing.
UNEP supports countries in selecting an appropriate national entity and developing its
capacity for attaining accreditation. The UNEP support programme will provide guidance
on the NIE accreditation requirements, roles and responsibilities, using tools and
indicators to assess capacity and support the capacity development strategy, action
plan and the help in preparing the NIE application process.
UNEP support services include:
- Provide advisory services on institutional capabilities required for direct access
- Facilitate capacity assessment associated with compliance of fiduciary standards
- Identify key capacities that already exist and additional capacities that may be needed of an appropriate entity
- Support national entities to prepare a capacity development strategy to address any capacity gaps
(these capacity gaps may include capacities for financial management, procurement, monitoring and evaluation)
- Provide support to identify relevant expertise to implement the capacity development
strategy to address the capacity gaps identified for fiduciary, institutional and program management.
- Work with partners to address capacity gaps, through providing technical assistance, training and putting in place required systems
- Provide support services to national entities for preparing an application to get accredited for direct access.