Over the past decade, efforts based on Agenda 21’s freshwater management guidelines in Chapter 18, which address the protection of the quality and supply of freshwater and the application of integrated approaches for the development, management and use of water resources, have focused on the following areas:
• integrated water resources development and management
• water resources assessment
• protection of water resources, water quality and aquatic ecosystems
• drinking-water supply and sanitation
• water and sustainable urban development
• water for sustainable food production and rural development
• the impact of climate change on water resources.