The steering committee is the governing body of the GPWM. It provides guidance on the overall work plan of the GPWM and the progress made.
The steering committee is composed of the lead entities of the GPWM’s six focal areas, an IETC representative as well as other core partners from international conventions and organizations and civil society:
Focal area leads:
- Waste and Climate Change - International Solid Waste Association (ISWA)
- Marine Litter - UNEP Division of Environmental Policy Implementation (UNEP DEPI)
- Waste Minimization - UNEP Sustainable Consumption and Production Branch (UNEP SCP)
- Integrated Solid Waste Management - UNEP International Environmental Technology Centre (UNEP IETC)
- E-waste - United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Waste Agricultural Biomass - UNEP International Environmental Technology Centre (UNEP IETC)
Other core members:
- Secretariat of the Basel, Stockholm and Rotterdam Conventions
- United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
- International POPs Elimination Network (IPEN)
- International Environmental Technology Centre (UNEP IETC)
The steering committee held its first meeting on 4 November 2012 on the premises of UNEP’s International Environmental Technology Centre (IETC) in Osaka, Japan.
The meeting report can be accessed here: Report of the GPWM Steering Committee meeting.