|TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
2 Consultants – Communications - Partnership for Action on Green Economy
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the voice for the environment within the United Nations system. UNEP acts as a catalyst, advocate, educator and facilitator to promote the wise use and sustainable development of the global environment. The UNEP's Division of Technology, Industry and Economics (DTIE) plays a leading role in the Green Economy Initiative, launched by UNEP in 2008. This aims to shift national economies on to a new path, in which jobs and output growth are driven by increased investment in green sectors, and by a switch of consumers’ preferences towards environmentally friendly goods and services.
Located within DTIE, the Economics and Trade Branch (ETB) examines how economics, trade and finance interact with the environment and contribute to sustainable development at the local, national, regional and global levels. As part of its work it responds to the outcome document of the Rio+20 conference – The Future We Want – that invites the United Nations, relevant donors and international organizations to support countries in their transition to greener economies.
In response to this call, UNEP has initiated the Parternship for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) PAGE is a multi year-year programme responding to the Rio+20’s call for the UN system to support countries interested in pursuing green economy policies. PAGE deploys the joint expertise of five UN agencies – ILO, UNEP, UNIDO, UNITAR and UNDP – to progressively assist a total of 30 countries in their efforts to embark on green economy pathways. The collective endeavor ranges from mobilizing social awareness and providing specialized training to identifying critical bottlenecks, formulating and assessing policy options, and enabling policy implementation for greening the economy. The programme also includes global and regional level capacity development, knowledge creation and sharing, and high-level policy dialogues, all to enrich and strengthen country level assistance. PAGE, is currently operating in six countries with additional country activities being launched in 2015.
UNEP is providing secretariat services to the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE), and this context is seeking two communications consultants to guide and implement the communications work for the partnership. The consultancies are located in UNEP/ETB office in Geneva.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The objective of this consultancy is initiate, guide, and implement the communications and outreach related work for PAGE in coordination with communication focal points of the other agencies in the partnership. This includes work on website and other communications tools, events, social media, publications, press releases, and strategic documents. Under the supervision of the Programme Manager for PAGE the following specific tasks will be undertaken by the consultants:
1) Develop and update communication material and tools for the partnership (flyer, brochures, annual reports, country updates, social media channels, articles).
2) Initiate and organize outreach events and webinars, and contribute to the implementation of international conferences, capacity building workshops and country level meetings (screening of opportunities, development of concepts, press releases and other news coverage, coordination with partners, drafting briefings and speaking points).
3) Lead the development of content, regular updates and maintenance for PAGE website (drafting and editing of text, coordination with partners, secure functioning of technical setting, provide highlights).
4) Build and maintain network of internal and external partners supporting communications and outreach work of PAGE (coordinate with UNEP communication team and communication of PAGE partners, identify opportunities, encourage outreach on green economy, link to other platforms and websites).
5) Report to PAGE management board and donor steering committee on communications work under the partnership.
6) Oversee publication processes for country reports and other substantive publications of the partnership (development of templates, common features, coordination with editors, proofreading and quality assurance).
7) Provide strategic inputs to PAGE planning documents on communications related aspects and inputs into for UNEP communication processes.
- Education: Master’s in relevant subject (in environmental economics, environmental management, communications or similar field).
- Experience: Five years of accumulated work experience, including experience related to journalism, communications and public relations and web based platforms.
- Language: For this post, fluency in spoken and written English is required. Other UN languages are an advantage.
Other: Flexible team player and excellent coordination skills, with ability to work under pressure and handle multiple activities concurrently. Excellent writing and editing abilities. Experience working in an international organisation or in a developing country.
Tentative duration of the contracts is 6 months starting from 20 April 2015 to 19 October 2015.
How to apply: All interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and before the deadline of 27 March 2015 by sending their CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Note, we apologize due to the high volume of work, only potential candidates will be contacted.