The North West Pacific (NOWPAP) - MALITA
NOWPAP (The Action Plan for the Protection, Management and Development of the Marine and Coastal Environment of the Northwest Pacific Region) was established in 1994 as part of the UNEP Regional Seas Programme. It approved the road map for the Marine Litter Activity (MALITA) at the Tenth Intergovernmental Meeting held in Toyama, Japan in 2005 and concrete activities started in 2006. The objective of MALITA is to assist in the environmental protection and sustainable development of the NOWPAP region through the development of a NOWPAP Regional Action Plan for the Marine Litter Management in the NOWPAP Region.
The road map to implement the MALITA has the following components:
- Formulation of long-term strategy to deal with the marine litter problem;
- Approach to the civil society (private sector, NGOs and the scientific community) to develop partnerships;
- Development and implementation of long-term monitoring programme;
- Formulation and implementation of awareness and education campaigns;
- Development of sectoral guidelines for management of marine litter; and
- Development and improvement of waste management policies and systems.
For more details, see http://www.nowpap.org/new_projects_01.php