UNEP Division of Regional Cooperation
The Coordination Office of the Division of Regional Cooperation (DRC) was created in 1999 to meet the Governing Council’s request to strengthen regionalization while ensuring a central coordinating role of headquarters. The Coordination Office together with the six regional offices constitute the Division for Regional Cooperation (DRC).
It is the responsibility of DRC to:
- undertake relevant information and data-gathering to bring regional perspectives to the development of UNEP policies and programmes;
- present UNEP global policies in the regions and enlist support for them at all levels;
- implement and complement relevant parts of UNEP's global programmes through initiating, coordinating, and catalyzing regional and subregional cooperation and action in response to environmental problems and emergencies;
- assist in the development of policies and programmes on global and regional environmental issues between and within Governments in the regions;
- provide advisory services to help Governments translate global commitments into national action for the protection and enhancement of the environment;
- raise public awareness of environmental problems and create a consistency for environmental action;
- promote cooperation between UNEP and non-governmental organizations and the private sector, and
- broaden the constituency of UNEP.