UNEP Division of Technology, Industry and Economics
UNEP DTIE was created in 1998 as part of the re-organization of UNEP. It brought together four existing UNEP offices (International Environmental Technology Centre, Industry and Environment Programme Activity Centre, UNEP Chemicals, and Economics, Trade and Environment Unit) in an attempt to provide integrated responses to industrial and urban issues.
The role of UNEP DTIE is to:
- promote the development of policies, economic instruments, management practices and tools that ensure an environmentally sound approach to activities
- develop partnerships with the private sector and corresponding outreach activities
- promote the use and transfer of cleaner, safer and environmentally sound technologies
- assist in the preparation of international agreements and guidelines such as the Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs)
- work in close cooperation with UNEP's six Regional Offices to disseminate information and implement activities in the regions as well as collect information regarding the relevant needs of the countries.