The Marrakech Task Force on Sustainable Lifestyles has produced five top line recommendations for those looking to make sustainable lifestyles a reality. These recommendations are based on the lessons learned by the Task Force since its creation in 2005.
- Enthuse and inspire: Convey what sustainable lifestyles are about and how great it is to live them. The changes create healthier, better connected, more stable communities and environments. It has to be a positive message, about what we gain, not what we give up.
- Create support structures: Behaviour change is only effective if people are provided with the means through which they can make sustainable choices. This could be in the form of innovative products and services or infrastructure improvements, such as educating people on sustainability or an online network to share experiences. Enabling change is just as important as encouraging it.
- Celebrate success: All over the world, amazing work is happening to help us live more sustainable lives, it deserves celebrating. Rejoicing in the successes will encourage other people to get involved. There is still much more that can be done by individuals, communities and businesses.
- Focus your efforts: The work done by the Task Force on Sustainable Lifestyles has covered a wide range of areas. With a solid foundation of understanding, focused work is needed to create much needed lifestyle changes.
- Form partnerships: People are diverse and complicated, lifestyles even more so. It takes a lot of time and effort to build the required relationships and expertise to make sustainable lifestyles happen. Connecting people and organizations, each with different expertise and skills, can deliver great results.