Lead organization: UNEP/ Wuppertal Institute, Collaborating Centre on Sustainable Consumption and Production (CSCP) and the Stockholm Environment Institute
Download: To download the booklets, please select below.
Summary: The project is an ongoing series of guidebooks that address the business opportunities of sustainable production and consumption.
- To clarify what role business can play in sustainable consumption and production
- To make the business case for sustainable consumption and production
- To identify strategies that enable businesses to successfully work on sustainable consumption and production
The Story: The project has two parts: the printed guidebook series and the website to present the series.
The seven guidebooks, each about 15 pages long, focus on the following topic areas:
- Booklet 1 - What are the business opportunities and challenges behind the sustainable consumption agenda?
- Booklet 2 - How to drive business value through sustainable consumption business strategies?
- Booklet 3 - What does sustainable consumption mean for major business sectors? (Finance, Food, Energy, Automotive)
- Booklet 4 - What are sustainable consumption business strategies?
- Booklet 5 - What public policy framework is required to encourage sustainable consumption business strategies?
- Booklet 6 - What sustainable consumption opportunities are there in developing countries?
- Booklet 7 - Which partnerships are required for sustainable consumption?
Outcomes: While the project is ongoing, feedback on the guidebooks has been positive. Following feedback the guidebooks have been further developed to fulfill the needs of their readership.
Lessons: The project provides a number of lessons for those looking to engage people on sustainable lifestyles:
- Applying sustainable principles in the development and design of products and services can build successful innovation and a solid customer base
- The business sector possesses unique skill sets and resources to incentivize the move towards more sustainable lifestyles.
- The market for more sustainable products is growing. The number of people considering sustainability while shopping has been rising over the years.
- Sustainable consumption and production strategies offer new knowledge and insights, unexplored partnerships, the potential for breakthrough innovations, and improved brand reputation.
Ms. Burcu Tuncer: email@example.com