The Marrakech Task Force on Education for Sustainable Consumption (ESC) is one of the seven task forces of the Marrakech Process, a global multi-stakeholder process aimed at supporting the implementation of sustainable consumption and production (SCP) and the development of a Global Framework for Action on SCP, the 10-Year Framework of Programmes on SCP (10YFP). The main objective of the Marrakech Task Force on Education for Sustainable Consumption, led by Italy, was to achieve progress in the introduction of sustainable consumption and production (SCP) issues into formal learning processes considering appropriate links to non-formal and informal education.
This is accomplished through political initiatives, research activities and pilot projects in the education sector. The Task Force’s work has also contributed to the UN Decade for Education for Sustainable Development (UN DESD, 2005-2014). The Task Force’s efforts are focused towards the achievement of three objectives:
- Mapping, exchanging and networking
- The advancement of Education for Sustainable Consumption (ESC) in formal curricula
- ESC as a support to other policies
The Task Force’s activities include:
- A collection of good practices on ESC
- A database and a technical planner on ESC
- Study and analysis on the thematic issue of education (e.g. pedagogic aspects) and the interlinks and interdependencies with consumption patterns
- The development of guidelines and recommendations for the introduction of ESC into formal learning processes
- The creation of linkages and synergies between the initiatives of the Task Forces initiatives and relevant regional and international organizations active in the field of ESC
- The definition of sets of indicators and quality criteria for monitoring and evaluation
The lessons learned from these activities, along with the new areas for further work, are the Task Force’s contribution to the 10YFP on SCP.
A special focus of the Marrakech Task Force Education for Sustainable Consumption is on the Mediterranean region, contributing to the implementation of the Mediterranean Strategy for Sustainable Development, and sharing its experiences globally.
UNEP, in close collaboration with the Marrakech Task Force on Education for Sustainable Consumption, is implementing a pilot project on the institutional strengthening of education for sustainable consumption and lifestyles. Visit the Pilot Project section for more information.
Become a partner
Ministries of Environment and other ministries, above all Ministries of Education and Ministries of Economic Development, are welcome to work together and to join the Task Force, which aims at involving institutional subjects to better influence the process at all levels. Countries and international organizations from different geographical areas are also invited to join the Task Force and to disseminate information and competences built through their participation on the Task Force.
For more information, please contact Mr. Andrea Innamorati, Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea: firstname.lastname@example.org.