National Focal Points:
Governments have been invited by the Secretariat to nominate the National Focal Points (NFP). Currently, over 100 countries nominated their NFP and alternate. NFPs are mostly from the Ministry of environment, but also from Foreign Affairs, Development, Economics, Trade, Agriculture, Industry and Tourism, among others.
Countries who have not yet submitted their nomination, following the invitation letter and filling up the attached form.
In the event of a change of National Focal Point, Governments should inform the secretariat by submitting a revised official nomination through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The 10YFP text adopted at the Rio+20 Conference invites governments to designate focal points, as follows (A/CONF.216/5 - paragraph 4.d): “Governments should be invited to designate sustainable consumption and production focal points for engagement with the 10-year framework of programmes, with a view to ensuring contact and coordination with the board and the secretariat”.
Proposed role for National Focal Points:
Stakeholders focal points:
- Support the vision, objectives and goals of the 10YFP.
- Share information on the 10YFP and enhance coordination and cooperation on SCP within the country with different ministries and stakeholders.
- Be the contact point for information and coordination with the Secretariat and the Board of the 10YFP.
- Contribute to the 10YFP implementation, including facilitate the country’s participation in SCP partnerships and initiatives, and meetings, workshops and activities under the 10YFP.
- Support work and activities of the “10YFP Programmes” at regional, national and local levels, including by facilitating the active participation of relevant/qualified experts.
- Exchange and disseminate relevant information on SCP plans, programmes activities, initiatives, events to national counterparts and stakeholders, and partners at the regional and international levels, through inter alia, the Global SCP Clearinghouse, which will serve as the information and knowledge platform of the 10YFP.
- Facilitate and where appropriate take the lead and actively pursue SCP implementation efforts at the country level, including facilitation of national roundtables or workshops on SCP.
- Be the channel for information on the activities under the 10YFP, and provide timely feedback on reports and requests from the 10YFP Board and Secretariat as necessary.
- Be the focal point which submits national proposals to the Trust Fund (in the case of developing countries and economies in transition).
The 10YFP Secretariat is consulting on the most inclusive and participatory model to engage Major Groups and Stakeholders, in cooperation with UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA).