Sign up to the Global SCP Clearinghouse! You are one click away!
The Global SCP Clearinghouse was developed by the 10YFP Secretariat with the contribution of the UNEP SCP team. Launched in Paris, France at the first meeting of the 10YFP Inter-Agency Coordination Group (IACG) on 21st of May 2013, the Global SCP Clearinghouse serves as the 10YFP “one-stop” information hub, focusing on policymakers and the SCP community worldwide.
The Global SCP Clearinghouse is meant to join forces and to offer all stakeholders tools to:
- Browse regional and thematic communities dedicated to key SCP related areas or sectors, such as sustainable food systems, sustainable tourism, lifestyles, education and youth or sustainable public procurement;
- Share and find information and initiatives on SCP, with a worldwide SCP database, news and events;
- Build networks and identify partners with an interactive marketplace for SCP cooperation, working groups and forums;
- Strengthen capacities with the experts / resource persons directory, a dedicated E-library and other tools included in MySCP, the members’ personal space on the platform;
- The Global SCP Clearinghouse will also serve as the information platform of the 10YFP.
The 10YFP has been adopted at the Rio+20 Conference as a framework for action on SCP
The Rio+20 Conference reaffirmed that Sustainable Consumption and Production is a cornerstone of sustainable development. The well-being of humanity, the environment, and the functioning of the economy, ultimately depend upon the responsible management of the planet’s natural resources. These challenges are mounting as the world population is forecast to reach 9 billion by 2050, with one billion people to be lifted out of absolute poverty and an additional 1 to 3 billion middle class consumers joining the global economy by 2030. The most promising strategy for ensuring future prosperity lies in decoupling economic growth from the rising rates of natural resource use and the environmental impacts that occur in both consumption and production stages of product life cycles.
Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) is about “the use of services and related products, which respond to basic needs and bring a better quality of life while minimizing the use of natural resources and toxic materials as well as the emissions of waste and pollutants over the life cycle of the service or product so as not to jeopardize the needs of further generations”. SCP is about doing more and better with less. SCP is about increasing resource efficiency and promoting sustainable lifestyles. It offers important contributions for poverty alleviation and the transition towards low-carbon and green economies. It requires building cooperation among different stakeholders as well as across sectors in all countries.
Read more: What is the 10YFP?