|UNEP is organizing a series of training workshops entitled "Territorial Approach to Climate Change" (TACC). The TACC project is a partnership of four UN agencies that works with developing countries and countries with economies in transition to increase their resilience to climate change and reduce their carbon footprint. TACC enhances participant's knowledge and understanding of the climate change policy framework and its implications for regional and local responses and actions. Particular focus is put on integrating this knowledge in relevant policies and plans; sources of funding for local actions are also highlighted during the workshop. Experts review practical measures for mitigating and adapting to climate change, stressing the importance of regional cooperation.
Overall goals of the TACC project are to:
- Provide access to and employ the latest climate change science, information, tools and good practices.
- Create a partnership and local governance framework to address the cross-sectoral nature of climate change.
- Develop a local climate profile (including assessments of present and future climate risks, adaptive capacity needs and energy service provisions.
- Draft a climate change strategy and action plan in line with national climate policies to ensure a programmatic approach to climate change.
- Identify, assess and prioritise projects within the Integrated Territorial Climate Plan (ITCP) to be funded, identify and combine different financing opportunities including the carbon market.
- Convening awareness raising workshops in five continents covering 500 sub-national territories to help them access and utilize up-to-date climate change science, information tools, methodologies and good practices. The workshops aim to facilitate the identification and selection of sub-national territories that will engage in the development and implementation of Integrated Territorial Climate Plans within national plans. The workshops bring together practitioners from sub-national and central governments, NGOs, private sector and other relevant stakeholders.
- Assisting sub-national governments and their associations with setting up and accessing the web-based portal, an information.