UNEP-SBCI 2012 AGM & Symposium
Resource Efficiency and Green Economy
Opportunities for Sustainable Buildings and Cities
São Paulo, Brazil
12 – 14 June
The UNEP-SBCI SBCI 2012 AGM & Symposium was kindly hosted and sponsored by UNEP-SBCI partner’s CBCS, Secovi-SP, City of São Paulo, CDHU, and the Ministério das Cidades.
2012 AGM (partners only) – Tuesday 12 June
To review the 2011/12 Annual Report, which was published in advance of the AGM, click here.
Symposium - Resource Efficiency and Green Economy: Opportunities for Sustainable Buildings and Cities – Wednesday 13 June
To watch a video recording of the Symposium, click here.
Opening Remarks: Arab Hoballah, Chief, Sustainable Consumption and Production Unit, UNEP-DTIE
Welcome: Mayor Kassab, City of São
Co-organizers Addresses: Marcelo Takaoka, President, CBCS; Claudio Bernardes, President, Secovi-SP; Carlos Roberto Fortner, Secretaria do Verde e Meio Ambiente, City of São Paulo; Inês Magalhães, Secretaria Nacional de Habitação – Ministério das Cidades; Silvio Torres, Secretaria do Estaado de São Paul, CDHU
Keynote Address and Q&A: Buildings and Cities - Drivers of Green Growth: Pavan Sukhdev, Founder & CEO of GIST Advisory & former Special Advisor & Head of UNEP’s Green Economy Initiative
Session 1: UNEP-SBCI Creating a Common Platform & Enabling Sustainable Buildings
An overview of tools, methodologies and policies currently being developed and promoted by UNEP-SBCI, and its partners was provided during this session.
- Metrics and Indicators - Providing the Tools to Facilitate Sustainable Building Policies and Practices: Curt Garrigan, Coordinator, UNEP-SBCI
- “The State of Play” reports: a comprehensive review of regional developments in sustainable building.
- Southeast Asia: Ang Kian Seng, Director, Research Division, BCA Singapore & Executive Director, BCA Centre for Sustainable Buildings
- Europe: Anne-Claire Freyd, Marketing Project Manager, CSTB
- Africa: Stephane Pouffary, Chief Executive Officer - Founder Honorary President, ENERGIES 2050
- Latin America: Cesar Trevino, Founding President, Mexico Green Building Council & former Secretary, World Green Building Council
- Opportunities for Sustainability in Social Housing: Eduardo Trani, State Housing Advisor, State of São Paulo
Session 2: Leading the way to Resource Efficiency - The Role of the Building Sector
This session focused on the unique role of the building sector in leading a transition to more sustainable patterns of consumption and production, more resource efficient cities, and a green economy.
Keynote Address and Q&A: Ambassador Rubens Ricupero, former Minister of the Environment and Amazonian Affairs & Minister of Finance, Brazil
Session 3: Livable and Resource Efficient Cities - Creating Policies and Partnerships for Action
A panel discussion, in the context of Rio+20, which focused on the opportunities for cities, national governments, civil society and international agencies to promote sustainable building and resource efficient cities.
- Martha Delgado, Minister of the Environment, Mexico City
- Inês Magalhães, Secretaria Nacional de Habitação, Ministério das Cidades, São Paulo
- Jason Hartke, Vice President, National Policy, USGBC
- Ambassador Rubens Ricupero, former Minister of the Environment and Amazonian Affairs & Minister of Finance, Brazil
- Ang Kian Seng, Director, Research Division, BCA Singapore & Executive Director, BCA Centre for Sustainable Buildings
- Elisabeth França, Assistant Secretary for Housing in the City of São Paulo
Closing Remarks and Outcomes: Arab Hoballah, Chief, Sustainable Consumption and Production Unit, UNEP-DTIE