Updated version of Cleaner, More Efficient Vehicles Tool now available
Available from www.unep.org/transport/gfei/autotool/, the Global Fuel Economy Initiative’s Cleaner, More Efficient Vehicles Tool is an online product designed to support the development of auto fuel economy policies worldwide; the tool answers basic questions related to the technology and policies required. The tool can be explored in any order, and is designed to be accessible easy to use and intuitive in terms of navigation and access to information. The handy User’s Guide (downloadable from the Tool website and from www.unep.org/transport/gfei/autotool/Pdf's/GFEI_User_Guide.pdf) takes you through the main functions and content available in the Tool, allowing you to begin exploring at your own pace.
Guidance and real-world examples are provided to inform users of what is being done to improve automotive fuel economy around the world. The Tool’s aim is to open the door to national discussions and planning and it is designed to answer questions related to the why, where and how’s of cleaner, more efficient vehicles, including:
- Why should countries adopt fuel economy policies and standards for light duty vehicles?
- What are the various types of technology and policy instruments available to decision makers to help improve national average auto fuel economy?
- What are other countries doing to reduce the amount of energy used by cars?
- What are the benefits of making cars more fuel efficient?
- Which measures are available and cost-effective for my country’s energy and environment strategies and targets?
The Tool also provides technical and policy fact sheets, including summaries of auto labeling schemes, fiscal instruments, alternative fuels and vehicles, the importance of fuel quality, and concrete guidance on how to calculate national emissions.