Terms and Conditions
Who may participate and selection process
1. Entry into the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) World Environment Day (WED) Video Blog Competition 2014 is subject to acceptance of these terms and conditions.
2. All entries must be received by 11:59pm +3 GMT Sunday, March 30th 2014. Any entries received after this closing date will not be accepted. UNEP reserves the right to change the closing date where the videos are of insufficient quality.
3. Video entries should be posted to the candidate’s personal Youtube account (or Youku in the case of submissions in China). A link to the video should then be posted to UNEP’s Facebook account (www.facebook.com/unep.org) along with the message “I just submitted my video blog to win a trip to a Small Island for World Environment Day 2014. Watch it and be inspired to celebrate WED!”
If the candidate is not on Facebook or Weibo, the link to the video should be sent by email to email@example.com with the following subject: “I just submitted my video blog to win a trip to a Small Island for World Environment Day 2014. Watch it and be inspired to celebrate WED!”
If the video is not in English, a translation of the script of the video should be sent to the same e-mail.
The Top 5 videos will be selected by a jury and these 5 short-listed candidates will participate in a second round. The profiles of the winners and the videos will be written and posted on World Environment Day webpage, as well as on UNEP’s YouTube and Youku accounts for an online showdown where the videos will compete. The final winner will be chosen by the UNEP Goodwill Ambassador, Don Cheadle, based on the quality, relevance to the theme, creativity/originality, universality and, of course, popularity of the video.
4. Videos can be submitted in any language. However, all participants that submit videos in languages other than English are requested to send a translation of the script in English to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Videos should be the sole original work of the author and must not have been previously published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other video competition. Any evidence of plagiarism will result in the author being disqualified from the competition.
6. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any video they submit has been taken with the permission of the subject(s) (or, where the video shows any persons under 18, the consent of their parent/guardian) and/or venue/location and does not infringe on the copyright of any third party. The entrant warrants that they own the copyright for the video and for the usage rights required by the competition, that their entry does not infringe on the privacy rights, copyright or any other rights of any person, and that the entrant will indemnify, hold and save harmless and defend at his/her own expense, UNEP , its officials and persons performing services for UNEP, against any claims, suits, liability, and demands made by any third parties in respect of such infringement or other hazards that may be suffered by the entrant as a result of his/her participation at the World Environment Day 2014 competition.
7. Copyright of a video submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, in consideration of their wilful participation in the Competition, each entrant grants a worldwide royalty free perpetual licence to UNEP to feature any or all of the submitted video in any and all media for publicity and marketing purposes.
8. Videos should have a maximum duration of 2 minutes, with a margin of up to 30 additional seconds. Videos that exceed the established maximum duration will be disqualified.
9. Videos submitted on behalf of another person will not be accepted.
10. UNEP is not obliged to publish any video.
11. Five finalists will be selected according to the video submitted by an internal judging panel. The judging criteria will consider:
-Relevance to the theme
-Creativity and originality
-Popularity and social media promotion
12. The final winner will be selected by UNEP Goodwill Ambassador Don Cheadle, and he will base his judgement on quality, relevance, creativity and popularity of the video. The winning video will be announced on www.unep.org/wed.
13. The winner must be at least 18 years of age, speak and understand English, and possess a valid passport (valid for at least eight months from the Competition closing date). UNEP will provide flights (and associated taxes), insurance, and daily subsistence allowance (DSA) that will cover meals, accommodation and local transfers according to applicable UN rules and regulations. Although we will advise on other preparations needed (e.g. visa and vaccinations) the winner is expected to arrange these and as such, these elements are not the responsibility of UNEP and partner/s. In addition, winners’ personal spending money for the duration of the trip shall be his/her own responsibility and so the winner must therefore ensure they have sufficient financial resources to meet any further financial commitments which may occur in connection with their trip. Prior to departure, the winner will be required to provide UNEP with contact details of his/her next of kin.
14. The winner of the competition will travel to create video-blogs and tweet about a UN event taking place in a Small Island Developing State in 2014.
15. UNEP will provide internet access for the winner to enable his/her online social media coverage during the events.
16. During the trip, the winner shall submit a minimum of one video-blog per day of programme as well as tweets and Facebook posts from his/her public personal account. UNEP may edit and re-publish the winners Facebook posts and tweets, and any photographs which the winner may take on the trip in connection with WED, on any online or in off-line publications published by UNEP.
17. UNEP is not responsible for cancellation, delays or changes to flights or for the inability of the winner to take further part in the competition due to problems with flights, travel or any other factors outside UNEP’s control.
18. Entrants must be available to travel for a minimum of 4 days. Entrants must have no criminal convictions, outstanding court summons or any legal reason that would render them unable to travel should they win.
19. The winner: a. grants UNEP and the partner/s the perpetual license to copy, edit, display, publish and make available their video and, any photographs taken on the trip in connection with the Competition, in any format in connection with the Competition; b. agrees that UNEP and partner/s may publish his/her name in connection with UNEP’s and/or a partner’s use of the video blog submission and any applicable photographs; and c. warrants that the video blog submission is their own original work, that it is not defamatory and that it shall not infringe on any third party rights including, without limitation, on privacy.
20. The winner may be requested to offer support with promotional activities.
21. The winner will assume sole responsibility for his/her own actions and own safety during the trip for such periods when not accompanying representatives of UNEP or its partners on any organized element of the trip. The winner agrees to act in accordance with any reasonable instructions given to them by or on behalf of UNEP or its partners, to adhere to any itinerary for the trip given to them by UNEP or its partners, to act at all times with due and proper consideration for others and to observe and respect and abide by any applicable local laws, guidelines or customs. UNEP accepts no responsibility for and excludes all liability to the fullest extent permitted by law for any breach by the winner of this clause and for the winner’s own actions and their own safety during their trip for such periods when they are not accompanying representatives of UNEP or its partners on any organized element of the trip providing that UNEP does not seek to exclude any liability to the winner for any death or personal injury caused by the negligence of UNEP.
22. If for some reason the winner is: a) unable to depart on the trip or to continue with the trip; b) fails to keep to his/her proposed journey and itinerary without obtaining prior consent from UNEP; c) brings or seeks to bring UNEP or its publications into disrepute; or d) breaches any of the terms and conditions stipulated herein; UNEP has the right to select the blogger with the next highest votes in the competition
23. Winning the blogging competition does not constitute any form of employment by UNEP to the winner.
24. UNEP and partners reserve the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control.
25. UNEP reserves the right at any time to change these terms and conditions.
26. These Terms and Conditions shall be subject to and interpreted in accordance with the relevant guidelines governing participants in United Nations events.
27. The winner will be required to sign a print-out of these terms and conditions to confirm their acceptance of same prior to undertaking the trip.
The entrant’s participation in the above cited World Environment Day 2014 competition will constitute his/her understanding of and concurrence to the above stipulations.